[Slackbuilds-users] postgresql again

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Apr 15 02:22:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:03:30 -0400
Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> When you run the postgresql.SlackBuild, you get reminded that you need
> to create a postgres group and user and you are given the commands to
> do so. You comply, the postgres package builds, you install it, and
> then get it running following the instructions in README.SBo.
>
> Some time later, you use the resulting package to try to install
> postgresql on another system. It installs, but when you attempt to get
> it running, you can't, because you need to create the postgres group
> and user, which you find out when you attempt to do
>
> su postgres -c "initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data"
>
> Except the error you get doesn't tell you how to fix the problem. So
> maybe you remember enough from when you originally built the package
> to dig through the postgresql.SlackBuild and figure it out.
>
> My point is this: the reminders to create the group and user should
> not occur at build time, they should occur at install time (or maybe
> both, if they are really needed at build time). At the very least, the
> README.SBo ought to tell you that the group- and user-creation is
> needed and how to do it. It seems to be assuming that this has already
> been done, which it may not be, if you are installing a package that
> you created on a different system six months ago.
>
> This issue is similar in nature to the issue I had with the gnucash
> package: the package is not self-contained and should be.

This one is a WONTFIX, if only because I don't see it as a bug.

That's not to say that I don't see your point -- I do -- but
there's not any obvious way that we can do this better without
adding some badness.  By "badness," I mean: we are not going
to have postinstall scripts create users and/or groups on the
system.

In essence, this is one of those things that's going to have to
be documented by the system admin in a local ChangeLog or some
such and then consulted when doing new installs.

-RW