[Slackbuilds-users] slackware audio

korgman korgie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 22:05:40 UTC 2010

Felix Pfeifer wrote:
> Do you audio guys use such a kernel to avoid
> audio dropouts? How did you configure your
> slackware box for these softwares, or didn't
> you change any of the default settings?

I am not experienced, I use occasionally ardour, audacity (for simple stuff like 2 channel recording) and mainly pianoteq (closed source).

To my setup the I have to follow those 3 steps
1. disable wifi (!)
2. custom kernel (1000Hz)
3. AND to reniceX (as root: renice 19 -p `/sbin/pidof X`)

The last part (reniceX) allowed me to have ardour together with pianoteq. Without reniceX I have constant audio dropouts, I think reniceX it's a nice trick.

Of course the best thing is a modern processor + motherboard.

I tried the patches from ConKolivas and RT but I failed to see better behavior. I am not implying that they are not suitable or better, I just didn't experience it. I have problem with midi from pd (too much latency) maybe with those patches it will be better.

I advice you to check with powertop (check no of wakeups, I found it easier than latencytop) to find if some hardware/software is responsible for audio dropouts.

How about to start a "SlackSound" team from here?

(sorry for the noise)