[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20101205

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Dec 18 16:02:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:59:56 -0600
alkos333 <me at alkos333.net> wrote:

> After updating to 0.8.2, NetworkManager pretty much stopped working
> entirely.  When I plug in the ethernet cord or my the phone via usb
> (with dhcpcd server running on it), nothing happens - NetworkManager
> shows that they are plugged in, but doesn't conntect to them
> automatically like it used to.
>
> When I try to connect to a wireless signal using the nm-applet,
> nothing happens either and I get the following in the console:
>
> <WARN> activate_connection_cb(): Connection activation failed: No user
> settings service available.

Hrm...  I get this in my logs:

Dec 17 19:43:43 liberty NetworkManager[2209]: <error> [1292636623.891805] [nm-manager.c:1368] user_proxy_init(): could not init user settings proxy: (3) Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings': no such name

but everything still works.  I suspect that's because I have all of my
connections set up to be system-wide rather than user-specific though.

I saw your mail on the NM list, and I'll also reply there; let's keep
the rest of the discussion there, and perhaps reply here if/when it's
resolved.  I'll also try to do some more investigation.

> The following page:
> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/RemovingUserSettings  explains
> the removal of user settings service, but does not explain anything
> specifically.

That page details the plans for 0.9 - not relevant to 0.8.2.

-RW