[Slackbuilds-users] Will there be a "current" branch in official SBo git repo?

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Fri May 28 17:59:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM, xgizzmo <xgizzmo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Matthew Fillpot <mfilpot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Having a current branch in git only (not having it visible to the website)
>> will help to have preparations done for the upcoming releases. Although not
>> all maintainers will not be able to keep it current, it would be useful to
>> reduce load on the sbo team when new releases are pushed.
>>
>> On May 28, 2010 12:03 PM, "Ozan Türkyılmaz" <ozan.turkyilmaz at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/5/28 Grissiom <chaos.proton at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>> It's exciting to hear and see that SBo team have a public git repo now(You
>>> have SCM...
>>
>> if there will be a repo for current, i won't able to maintain any package
>> for it
>> on grounds of lack of time. current changes too much too fast, and keeping
>> track of it is itself a big job.
>>
>> --
>> Ozan

> I don't not speak for the whole admin staff. But I feel it is almost
> pointless to try and maintain anything based on -current. You will
> expend tons of time doing it, and run the risk of having everything
> you worked on being undone by a single up date to -current. If we made
> a -current repo then we would be forced into keeping it up to date
> with -current, something I do not intend to do.

I agree... -current is a "moving target". I have a machine running
current all the time, and all the time things change.
Look what changed between 13.0 and 13.1 that affected SlackBuilds:
- new bash
- new libpng
- new gcc
- ... and some other stuff...

The first three items alone caused work for several SlackBuilds.
If SBo creates a public repository (even if it's only git, not http),
people expect it to be stable, which it will almost never be.

My two (Brazilian) cents...

Niels