[Slackbuilds-users] Will there be a "current" branch in official SBo git repo?

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Sat May 29 01:16:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 02:59:29PM -0300, Niels Horn wrote:

> If SBo creates a public repository (even if it's only git, not http),
> people expect it to be stable, which it will almost never be.

I have to say, I really don't understand this.

If Pat is able to make -current public, and people understand that
it's explicitly not stable, then why can't SBo have a -current branch
that is also understood to be completely and utterly unstable.  When I
choose to run -current, I know that all bets are off.  To expect
stable SBo scripts for an unstable distro branch is unreasonable.

It is true that a lot of work may be lost when -current updates, but
the people doing that work are likely to be the ones investing time
into -current anyway (since they're tracking it for their own usage),
so they are still getting benefit from having their scripts working in
the time before the update.  This way, it may save some others time.
Also, feature changes from version upgrades (eg. bash4) tend to be
once-off things that aren't reverted, and will need to be done come
the next stable version anyway.

Kev.