[Slackbuilds-users] Will there be a "current" branch in official SBo git repo?

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Sat May 29 02:20:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Kevin Pulo <kev at pulo.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 02:59:29PM -0300, Niels Horn wrote:
>
> > If SBo creates a public repository (even if it's only git, not http),
> > people expect it to be stable, which it will almost never be.
>
> I have to say, I really don't understand this.
>
> If Pat is able to make -current public, and people understand that
> it's explicitly not stable, then why can't SBo have a -current branch
> that is also understood to be completely and utterly unstable.  When I
> choose to run -current, I know that all bets are off.  To expect
> stable SBo scripts for an unstable distro branch is unreasonable.
>
> It is true that a lot of work may be lost when -current updates, but
> the people doing that work are likely to be the ones investing time
> into -current anyway (since they're tracking it for their own usage),
> so they are still getting benefit from having their scripts working in
> the time before the update.  This way, it may save some others time.
> Also, feature changes from version upgrades (eg. bash4) tend to be
> once-off things that aren't reverted, and will need to be done come
> the next stable version anyway.http://github.com/Ponce/SBo-git
>
> Kev.

I agree with most of the points you're making, however it's not *our*
time/effort that we should be thinking about but the time/effort of the SBo
team. They're busy guys (and I very much appreciate all the work you guys
are doing!) and their time is valuable. Asking them to manage an official
-current repository on top of all the good work they're already doing for
Slackware and SBo seems a bit unreasonable.

There is already an unofficial repository for -current on GitHub. I suggest
that those of us who are interested in following the tip of -current should
contribute our efforts to the unofficial -current tree. The SBo team always
has the option to pull from that tree if they see fit. Thanks to the
distributed nature of Git, there is nothing stopping us from collaborating
on slackbuilds for -current even if the authors of the official tree choose
not to.

I see http://slackbuilds.org/gitweb/ and http://github.com/Ponce/SBo-git as
being complementary (not competing) projects.

My $0.02.

Regards,
Ben