[Slackbuilds-users] Will there be a "current" branch in official SBo git repo?

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Sat May 29 01:34:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Kevin Pulo <kev at pulo.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 02:59:29PM -0300, Niels Horn wrote:
>
>> If SBo creates a public repository (even if it's only git, not http),
>> people expect it to be stable, which it will almost never be.
>
> I have to say, I really don't understand this.
>
> If Pat is able to make -current public, and people understand that
> it's explicitly not stable, then why can't SBo have a -current branch
> that is also understood to be completely and utterly unstable.  When I
> choose to run -current, I know that all bets are off.  To expect
> stable SBo scripts for an unstable distro branch is unreasonable.
>
> It is true that a lot of work may be lost when -current updates, but
> the people doing that work are likely to be the ones investing time
> into -current anyway (since they're tracking it for their own usage),
> so they are still getting benefit from having their scripts working in
> the time before the update.  This way, it may save some others time.
> Also, feature changes from version upgrades (eg. bash4) tend to be
> once-off things that aren't reverted, and will need to be done come
> the next stable version anyway.
>
> Kev.

Good to know that *you* understand that "current" != "stable".
But many people don't get that idea.

Even with the 13.0 repository I have seen tons of questions like "Hey,
foo.SlackBuild does not work on my machine I just installed the latest
Slackware-current version on!".

I always say this: If you are brave enough to run -current, you really
should have enough knowledge to adapt the SlackBuilds yourself.
If not, you should *not* be running -current.

Yes, I know I'm harsh sometimes. Comes with the Dutch background :)

Niels