[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-kernel

emmel the_emmel at gmx.net
Tue Aug 30 10:55:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:48:06AM -0700, King Beowulf wrote:
> Emmel, see LQ thread I stgarted to get more exposure on this topic.  On my
> system /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d has priority.
>
> > On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 02:35:30PM -0700, King Beowulf wrote:
> > > Hmmm.  From your and Robby's email to this list, my interpretation was
> > that
> > > anything in /etc/X11/ will override /usr/share/X11, but maybe I
> > understood
> > > that wrong?  Or is it just that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d overrides
> > > /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d?  What I observe is that anything in
> > > /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d has priority.
> > >
> > > There seems to be conflicting information after googling about this.  The
> > > X.org docs seem to imply that /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is searched LAST
> > so
> > > that word give it priority? Others say that /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is
> > > search first and so has lower priority?  Acccording to
> > > http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-April/006852.html
> > >
> > > In addition to the conf files found in /etc/X11 or $sysconfdir/X11 used
> > > for local administration, we also reserve a system directory for vendor
> > > and package usage. The simple search path is:
> > >
> > >     /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
> > >     $datadir/X11/xorg.conf.d
> > >
> > > Files from these directories will have the lowest config priority.
> > >
> > > So you can understand my confusion.
> >
> > Well, the way I understand it and the way it seems to work for me is
> > that any files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d will get overridden by
> > files of the same name in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.
> >
> > > BTW, emmel, check the driver readme for a bunch of coolbits settings,
> > > depending on the card.  The fan one is nice as I can drop the decibels
> > > unless I am playing a game.
> >
> > I checked it out. Though I have to have a look at the maximum allowed
> > die temperature for my card, before I toy with that. Melting my graphics
> > card is not in the plan for me.

Well, I had a look. After some searching. I have no idea where the part
with xorg.conf overrides everything comes from. I've never actually
tried to put any static configuration in the config dirs. But, and let
me say that very clearly:

The xorg.conf doesn't matter to your package.

Although it would be nice to know if xorg.conf settings do override.
From my (hard learned) hot plugging lessons, I can however attast to the
following: Hot plugged stuff completely ignores the xorg.conf, unless
you disable hotplugging entirely in the xorg.cong. I wouldn't be too
surprised if you see something similar, even though graphics cards
usually aren't hot plugged in the traditional sense.

Anyway, after copying the settings file in question from
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, any the letter would
take precedece. And this *is* the preferred way to deal with those
configurations. Have a look at the comments in 90-keyboard-layout.conf.

Oh, just had a look. It actually seems that not the whole file gets
overridden, but the sections therein. My custom keymap file is just
called keymap.conf...

Long story made short: In our specific case, putting the Coolbits
setting in a copied settings file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d should work
and be the way to go. You jsut supply the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
file. Users should not adjust their xorg.conf, but the copy in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

Huh. Lots of typing, not so much content. Hope this helps matters,
though.

On a different note, activating the Coolbits option gives me the option
to change the fan settings, but not the clock. Odd.

Oh, and please refrain from top posting and cut the signatures when
replying.

HTH/HANDA
--
emmel <the_emmel at gmx.net>