[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-kernel

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:04:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:55 AM, emmel <the_emmel at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:48:06AM -0700, King Beowulf wrote:
> > Emmel, see LQ thread I stgarted to get more exposure on this topic.  On
> my
> > system /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d has priority.

> was
> > > that
> > > understood

>  The
> LAST
> > > so
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is

> used
> vendor

> > > Well, the way I understand it and the way it seems to work for me is
> > > that any files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d will get overridden by
> > > files of the same name in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

> decibels
> > >
> > > I checked it out. Though I have to have a look at the maximum allowed
> > > die temperature for my card, before I toy with that. Melting my
> graphics
> > > card is not in the plan for me.
>
> Well, I had a look. After some searching. I have no idea where the part
> with xorg.conf overrides everything comes from. I've never actually
> tried to put any static configuration in the config dirs. But, and let
> me say that very clearly:
>
> The xorg.conf doesn't matter to your package.
>
> Although it would be nice to know if xorg.conf settings do override.
> From my (hard learned) hot plugging lessons, I can however attast to the
> following: Hot plugged stuff completely ignores the xorg.conf, unless
> you disable hotplugging entirely in the xorg.cong. I wouldn't be too
> surprised if you see something similar, even though graphics cards
> usually aren't hot plugged in the traditional sense.
>
> Anyway, after copying the settings file in question from
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, any the letter would
> take precedece. And this *is* the preferred way to deal with those
> configurations. Have a look at the comments in 90-keyboard-layout.conf.
>
> Oh, just had a look. It actually seems that not the whole file gets
> overridden, but the sections therein. My custom keymap file is just
> called keymap.conf...
>
> Long story made short: In our specific case, putting the Coolbits
> setting in a copied settings file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d should work
> and be the way to go. You jsut supply the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
> file. Users should not adjust their xorg.conf, but the copy in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.
>
> Huh. Lots of typing, not so much content. Hope this helps matters,
> though.
>
> On a different note, activating the Coolbits option gives me the option
> to change the fan settings, but not the clock. Odd.
>
> Oh, and please refrain from top posting and cut the signatures when
> replying.
>
> HTH/HANDA
> --
> emmel <the_emmel at gmx.net>
> GPG signed
> [...]
Sorry for the top post.  That's what get for using gmail web client...

I sent in a diff to fix nvidia-kernel up a bit.  I did see the comments in
90-keyboard-layout.conf and was hoping 10-nvidia.conf would behave the same
way. No such luck here.  Its a small niggle, but I do want a simple default
that can be tweaked in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d as needed.  I can't seem to get
it to work.

--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0