[Slackbuilds-users] requirements in README files

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 10 12:00:06 UTC 2012

For the record I'm personally not 100% hostile to the idea.  I could
live with a formal mechanism for declaring mandatory direct
dependencies, but I wouldn't stay up late myself to make it happen.
If it ever did happen, I'd hope that both build-time and run-time
dependencies should be included with no distinction.  The end users
would be freaked out if packages failed to run despite meeting what
they would see as formally documented deps.

It's reassuring that nobody is advocating version dependency, you know
the sort of thing: gnome-stuff >= 2.34.56.  You're not all completely
mad and I respect you for that :D

> "This requires zope.component and gaphas "

Just imagine the chaos for automatic parsing if there was a package
named 'and' :-)

-D.