[Slackbuilds-users] requirements in README files

JK Wood joshuakwood at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 12:20:56 UTC 2012

On Jul 10, 2012 7:00 AM, "David Spencer" <baildon.research at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> For the record I'm personally not 100% hostile to the idea.  I could
> live with a formal mechanism for declaring mandatory direct
> dependencies, but I wouldn't stay up late myself to make it happen.
> If it ever did happen, I'd hope that both build-time and run-time
> dependencies should be included with no distinction.  The end users
> would be freaked out if packages failed to run despite meeting what
> they would see as formally documented deps.
>
> It's reassuring that nobody is advocating version dependency, you know
> the sort of thing: gnome-stuff >= 2.34.56.  You're not all completely
> mad and I respect you for that :D

But, that's exactly the problem. Sometimes, there is a minimum necessary
version required to build a package. Other times, there is a maximum
required (I'm thinking of Python in particular, but I know there are other,
non-official packages that have had this problem.) In theory, the current
admin system in use at SBo should keep this from being a problem. In
practice, maybe not.

But then, we can't really just include version information, because that's
a whole nother ball of wax. What's newer, 1.54 or r1076?

> > "This requires zope.component and gaphas "
>
> Just imagine the chaos for automatic parsing if there was a package
> named 'and' :-)
>
> -D.

And what if more than one package fits the bill? The wxWidgets packages
come to mind. I believe at one point, there were three different packages,
any of which would satisfy that one dependency, and any of which required a
fairly large source download and a fairly lengthy compile. You definitely
didn't want to build all three!