[Slackbuilds-users] Propose a new approach regarding scripts submission and management

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 18:32:02 UTC 2012

My $0.02,

If I remember correctly, when official git access was first announced,
the admins stated that they wanted to continue using the submission form
for new packages and updates. It seems that pull requests are considered
fine for minor corrections.

While using pull requests for submissions and updates would certainly be
more convenient for those of us who already maintian our scripts under
git anyways, it would probably be less convenient for anyone who
doesn't.

The other reason the admins probably want to continue using the
submission form is becaues of the additional information/fields in that
form. Trying to force people to use a consistent pattern in their commit
messages would probably be a pain in the ass (or maybe just requires
some hooks?) but giving them a web form to fill out is comparatively
easy.

I don't know how exactly the workflow works on the admin side, but I
expect that any solution would need to prioritize makeing their work
easier. They do have to do far more work than any individual
submitter/maintainer so we should really be optimizing for their work
load.

Best regards,
Ben