[Slackbuilds-users] Project to provide yeahconsole for SBo

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Mon Oct 22 17:23:28 UTC 2012

On Monday, October 22, 2012 06:44:13 PM e201 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using yeahconsole[1] so, I wrote a Slackbuild to create a package
> for it. Everything is ok, the sources just need a make.
>
> The problem is that yeahconsole doesn't provide a man page in the
> sources (latest here[2]). But, I know that there is one written by
> Damián Viano for the Debian system (according to the man itself under
> Debian). So what should I do?  Because I think a manpage is important,
> isn't it?  Should I add this man page retrieved from the debian package
> ou shouldn't I?
>
> If I should do it, is it ok to just put the yeahconsole.1.gz in my
> folder (with the Slackbuild) and add a mv yeahconsole.1.gz
> $PKG/usr/share/man/man1/ right under my cp -a LICENSE README
> $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION?
>
> And then, should I add something in some file (slack-desc,
> yeahconsole.info?) about the fact that I add something which isn't from
> the official sources and about the fact it's from and for debian system?
> Besides, is it a problem in absolute to have something tagged from
> Debian (or else) in a semi-official Slackware package (even if it's a
> manpage)?
>
> Yes, I know, there's too much question; but thanks for reading me :)
>
> 1. http://phrat.de/yeahtools.html
> 2. http://phrat.de/yeahconsole-0.3.4.tar.gz

I'm not an admin but this is not unprecedented. You have, more or less, a
"patch", if you think of it that way. I would just include the man page along
with the SlackBuild itself and insert it into the doc directory in the
SlackBuild script pretty much like normal.

Again, I'm no admin so maybe someone else has a better idea, but that's what
I'd do if I were writing it.

- klaatu