[Slackbuilds-users] eclipse issues and current(?)

Antonio Hernández Blas hba.nihilismus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 00:11:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Miguel De Anda <miguel at thedeanda.com> wrote:

> for some reason the eclipse package on sbo requires webkitgtk whereas one
> (forgot which packaging) from eclipse.org doesn't.

The "SBo's eclipse" *it is* from eclipse.org, specifically the "Eclipse
Standard" (aka "classic"). Anyway, it does not requires webkit or xulrunner
if you do not use its internal web browser, by default it will use your
system web browser (firefox mostly). There has been some reports/solutions
in the past about this issue [1][2]

> i've installed all of these from sbo and it seems to make eclipse crash
> quite a bit.

That seems to be the normal behavior ;)

> i'm running slackware current and the issue coincided with an update to
> seamonkey/firefox/thunderbird updates from last week so it might all be
> related.

Totally, seamonkey/firefox have (had?) the libxul.so (xulrunner) file to
make eclipse works with its internal web browser.

> i just wanted to share my findings in case there are other eclipse users
> out there.

I stopped using eclipse from SBo and just downloaded/installed the "Eclipse
IDE for Java Developers" and "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" in my
$HOME with a shell script in my $PATH to execute them. The benefit is that
you can more easily install/upgrade eclipse and its plugins. BTW, "Eclipse
Standard" it means to be used by "eclipse developers" (plugins and such)
and not by "java-jee-c-c++" developers since it's the "Eclipse Platform".

- Cheers

[1]
http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2011-May/007356.html
[2]
http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2010-June/005979.html

--
Antonio Hernández Blas | Oaxaca, México, Mx.
https://github.com/nihilismus | https://bitbucket.org/nihilismus |