[Slackbuilds-users] Handbrake x264 segfault

Thomas thomasrling at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 20:03:37 UTC 2014

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem. I'm using Slackware64
14.1. I've been getting segmentation faults on HandBrake when encoding
anything using x264 as the encoder. For example...

#Works as expected
HandBrakeCLI -i m84_2.mpg -o test.mp4

#Produces segfault
HandBrakeCLI -i m84_2.mpg -o test.mp4 -e x264

Looking around I found
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/x264/+bug/1241772 which suggests
compiling HandBrake's x264 with the -fno-aggressive-loop-optimizations flag
to work around changes in gcc 4.8.

For a quick/dirty fix I added the following as line 46 to
HandBrake.Slackbuild which solved the problem on my two machines.

sed -e "13iX264.CONFIGURE.extra +=
--extra-cflags=-fno-aggressive-loop-optimizations" -i
contrib/x264/module.defs