[Slackbuilds-users] Tex Live 2014 - Update / Part 2

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Jul 1 04:22:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:00:42 -0400
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/14, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> > The first eight are self-explanatory, and "full" will contain the
> > remainder.  Each of those nine will be split into three parts:
> >   texlive-texmf-*
> >   texlive-texmf-*-doc
> >   texlive-texmf-*-src
>
> I'm not a tex user, I would only ever need texlive as a dependency for
> other stuff (looks like only graphics/textext uses it), or for one of
> my hypothetical users to use. Thoughts from that perspective:
>
> I think the name "full" is misleading. It's really more like "misc",
> everything that didn't seem to fit in one of the other packages.
>
> 27 packages seems like overkill. Particularly for people who don't
> know the first thing about texlive... just like core Slackware, if I
> needed texlive for something, I'd do a full install of it (not
> knowing what's safe to leave out).

Yeah, 18 was the most it would be anyway, as the -src packages are
largely irrelevant - no need for us or anyone else to be concerned
about those.  One of the later updates cut that number down to 10,
and I'm about to reply to another mail with a suggestion to thin
it out even more.

Re the "full" name, yeah, agreed.  I just needed a name for now,
and "everythingelse" was too long :-)

-RW