[Slackbuilds-users] Tex Live 2014 - Update / Part 2

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Jul 1 04:27:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:15:26 +0200
Eugen Wissner <belka.ew at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Ivan Zaigralin: single package was very easy to use.
> Otherwise it's more easy to download the DVD and install it - it's
> very quick and simple. Multiple packages or excluding some stuff is
> problematic, because you have to waste your time if something doesn't
> work and you have too search for needed packages or why this thing
> doesn't work. Therefore I'm for minimal possible number of packages
> and for complete TeXLive distribution.

Yeah, I agree re the single package idea, and in an ideal world, that's
exactly what I'd do.  Size won't let it happen though.  I hope we can
reach a happy medium here...

> On the one hand it is nice to have TeXLive in the stock Slackware. On
> the other hand, I don't know why tetex can't be just removed and the
> freed space could be used for another useful packages; TeXLive can be
> anytime downloaded and installed from SBo. I had a friend, who said:
> Don't use LaTeX shipped with your Linux Distribution (he's Gentoo
> user), because it's always cut off and causes problems. I haven't any
> troubles with TeXLive available from SBo in the past.

Well, we need a TeX distribution in Slackware, if only to build docs
and such when upstream sources require it.  I think there's a general
consensus that tetex simply isn't adequate for "real" TeX users, so
they have to replace it with TeX Live in order to do their own work.

What I'm hoping to accomplish is a tetex-like distribution of TeX Live
included in Slackware, with everything else available at SlackBuilds.org.
It's still not ideal, but it would eliminate the necessity of *removing*
a package from stock Slackware and it would greatly shorten the build
and installation time of any additional bits needed.

I'm about to do a follow-up to my latest response on the original post
in this thread; I'll share my latest ramblings on how I think I need
to approach this...

-RW