[Slackbuilds-users] steam slackbuild

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 05:07:48 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 05:28 PM, Ryan P.C. McQuen wrote:

> Thank you Talos for making this, very happy to see a SlackBuild
> for this.  :)
>
> I would however, like to request that 'flashplayer-plugin' be
> removed as a hard dependency and moved to the README, I am almost
> certain it is not required, but recommended.
>
> Thanks, ryan
>
> ---

You pretty much *need* flashplayer, otherwise a bunch of stuff such as
videos wont work.  Without it Steam Client is only "partially" functional.

Also, no mention is made about which Slackware Steam can be run on.
Currently, the client and all games are 32-bit only.  There needs
comment in the README since the current package makes it look like
Steam can run an all Slackware arch:

- 32-bit only
- 64-bit with unsupported multilib

Secondly, I'm still using Alien Bob's spiffy package where he the
added the following to the top of the bootstrap /usr/bin/steam:

# --- Start Slackware mod ---
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/seamonkey
# Audio output goes to first "hw" device of ALSA
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
#export AUDIODEV=hw
# On window close, minimize to the system tray area:
export STEAM_FRAME_FORCE_CLOSE=1
# Add any custom variable exports here
[ -f ${HOME}/.steam4slackware ] && . ${HOME}/.steam4slackware
# --- End Slackware mod ---

Given the Ubuntu/pulseauidio centric nature of Steam, will sound work?
are the seamonkey libs still needed?  I couldn't test that since me VM
is not set up for sound.  I also didn't test if any games run since
since all that resides on a Slack64 multilib that is "unclean" for SBo
testing.

Finally, as an FYI, Talos may want to mention in the README that one
can put custom Steam icons in ~/.icons for those cases where the
default steam control panel icon doesn't fit with your WM theme.

A bunch of this has been discussed on LQ and the Slackware group on
Steam.

-Ed