[Slackbuilds-users] REQUIRES="%README%"

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Sun Mar 2 17:05:20 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 02:33:57 -0600
Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> However, if indeed use of %README% is mutually exclusive with use of
> deps listed in REQUIRES, then we may as well stop using %README%, as
> we don't actually accomplish what we intended it to do.

In my opinion, it should almost never be used. However, there are going to
be situations where deps can't be met automatically, so it really needs to
exist for those situations.

> don't have any examples at hand, I'm fairly certain that there are
> things which require deps *and* have custom user/group needs which
> are detailed in README, and so it would be known to fail if README
> is not followed.  For those, it seems that we would want to put both
> the deps *and* %README% in REQUIRES.

This is probably not a case for %README% at all, since the SlackBuild
scripts (as far as I'm aware) exit out if user/group requirements aren't
met. If they are met, say building a new version, then %README% breaking
the process doesn't make sense, and is just in the way.

A good example of when to use it might be where either wxGTK or wxPython can
be used. Since they conflict, any automated process should stop and the deps
should be handled manually. Listing the deps along-side %README% here leads
to this flag being ignored, and there are potential consequences to that.

--
Erik Hanson