[Slackbuilds-users] REQUIRES="%README%"

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 08:57:23 UTC 2014

This may be throwing fuel on the fire, but...

...a few of the builds that use %README% don't actually have any extra
details or deps listed in the README. Examples: system/newrelic-sysmond
and network/squidanalyzer. Also office/xtrkcad (which does list some
deps in REQUIRES, along with %README%).

libraries/gwenhywfar has a note saying what projects are used by it,
but no other details in its README.

network/netcat-openbsd is using %README% to call attention to the fact
that it conflicts with Slackware's netcat (and also lists libbsd as a
dep in the REQUIRES).

I actually went through all the builds with %README% (hey, it was my day
off, I was bored), the attached text file is the result. Each package's
reason for using %README% is listed, along with Y or N (whether it has
anything else in REQUIRES besides %README%).

Looks like %README% is being used for 2 purposes (sometimes both in
the same build):

1. This package can't be built automatically, it needs human intervention.

2. This package has optional dependencies.

Maybe there should be two separate keywords %MANUAL% and %OPTIONAL%,
to separate these two use cases? (Or is that just adding unnecessary
complexity?)