[Slackbuilds-users] Slackware package linter

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Sep 26 06:25:03 UTC 2014

On Thursday 25 September 2014 23:37:24 David Spencer wrote:
> > TL;DR: Slackware package linter available at
> > https://github.com/pprkut/lintpkg
> What, you mean like slackrepo --test ? :P
> http://idlemoor.github.io/slackrepo/tests.html  (out of date, I wrote
> some more on a delayed train this afternoon)

I do admit that I didn't do a whole lot of research before starting. I just
took the lack of general awareness of such a tool as a hint ;)
That aside, I did take a look at it now, and while there is some overlap,
slackrepo --test does quite some things that lintpkg is not meant to do, at
least not at this moment. I want lintpkg really to first focus on checking
packages. It's possible that in the future we could expand it to cover various
SlackBuild styles as well, but for now I'd rather skip on that.

> > Comments, patches, pull requests are very welcome :)
>
> This is *great*.  Destined to be indispensible.  By the end of the
> year we'll have forgotten the time before lintpkg (hopefully).  I've
> looked at lintian in the past, but you've managed to make something
> sane out of it where I failed.

This would be awesome. But I'm already happy if it turns out as a good
assistant to a smaller group of people :)

> Ideally I'd love to throw away all my code and just call yours instead
> -- as soon as possible! -- so you'll be getting stuff like slack-desc
> checking by the weekend.

:)

Grs,
Heinz