[Slackbuilds-users] i586 time?

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 03:55:53 UTC 2015

On 08/09/2015 08:35 AM, Ryan P.C. McQuen wrote:

> It sounds like it may be time to consider switching SBo to i586
> (starting with the next release).
>
> Thoughts?

As much as it pains me to admit it, given the fairly antique hardware I
have, it may be time to move to the 21st century.  Even I gave up my AMD
486DX100 CPU ages ago, and my Athlon 800 slot A motherboard bit the big
one a while back.  Oldest CPU I have is (from 2000):

i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz

Followed by

i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N280   @ 1.66GHz

Everything else is x86_64:

x86_64 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300  @ 1.86GHz
x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+

Yep, not "new" or even "newish" but definitely ok with march=i596.

I say, switch...what the heck.