[Slackbuilds-users] Patches in `$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/`?

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Tue Aug 11 15:48:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:58:40 +0200
Matteo Bernardini <matteo.bernardini at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thinking to a recent example that affected me, webkitgtk from ponce's repo
> > is broken on it's own. The required libwebp package is not documented
> > anywhere in/near the package.
, since it
> > was built with my script! :) I imagine this is difficult to solve for less
> > experienced users, who may not know where the original script came from, or
> > know/care to use ldd or other tools to find out what's missing.
>
> you mean my packages repository? but that is for my personal use only. :-)
> maybe you missed when it happened but I stated many times that if
> anybody would like to use it either they solve dependencies with the
> ones listed on SBo or use the repository as a whole: I don't provide
> dependency resolution for it. ;-)
> if instead you mean the script on git the webkitgtk.info file is the
> same as on SBo.

*sigh*

> > This is not ponce's fault, of course
> > This is not ponce's fault, of course
> > This is not ponce's fault, of course
> > This is not ponce's fault, of course
> > This is not ponce's fault, of course

Not sure if I could have been clearer, it wasn't an attack on you, or a
call-out, or an invitation to discuss how Google returns Slackware package
search results. Hint: it doesn't include or link to your disclaimers,
README.txt files, emails, IRC logs, or any other places you've discussed how
your repo works. In fact, it's really not about you or your repo at all:

> > since it was built with my script! :)
> > since it was built with my script! :)
> > since it was built with my script! :)
> > since it was built with my script! :)
> > since it was built with my script! :)

It's an example of a problem *I HAD* and is easily solvable. It happens
with other well known repos. I suppose my mistake here was deciding to
mention yours. Quickly needing a trustable webkitgtk package happened to
me recently, was fresh on my mind, and works as an example for the
discussion at hand.

It applies to any other publicly/privately made repos using SBo scripts. If
my script, or all SBo scripts, copied the .info file into the package, this
wouldn't be an issue. The dep info would be there, in the package,
irrespective of whether anyone chooses to include dep info in their repo or
not.

> regarding linking the tarball patches from debian it happened many
> times in the past that the versioned tarball linked had been removed
> fom their repository, breaking the download: that's the main reason
> why I would prefer them to be included with the script.

Nevermind, I guess.

--
Erik Hanson