[Slackbuilds-users] Support for Python 3 in python-pillow?

Brenton Earl brent at exitstatusone.com
Tue Dec 15 16:00:19 UTC 2015

I did not intend on adding python 3 support to my python-pillow
SlackBuild.  This SlackBuild is a dependency of my mitmproxy
SlackBuild.  Another dependency that needs to be updated is urwid,
which exists in Slackware.  I am not able to submit mitmproxy due to
urwid being too outdated in 14.1.  I cannot test in -current either
because I need version urwid 1.3.1 and only 1.3.0 is available.  None
of this requires python 3.

I discussed with one of the SBo admins that prior to creating my
python-pillow SlackBuild that it would be removed once 14.2 was
released.  I would not recommend relying on my python-pillow package
for this reason.  Anyway, it exists -current and will be apart of
Slackware in the future.  So track the version in -current rather than
mine.

If you really need python 3 support for Pillow, then you should create
a separate python3-pillow SlackBuild.

On 12/15/2015 07:53 AM, David Spencer wrote:
> Hi, sorry to have been late catching up with this thread,
>
> I think a single SlackBuild that auto-detects python3 is a
> horrible idea for python-pillow.  It would cause an instant
> regression the moment that someone with python3 upgrades
> python-pillow-SBo to the python2-only python-pillow in -current or
> 14.2.  A separate python3-pillow would "just work" now, and would
> still "just work" after 14.2 is released, unless Patrick is
> suddenly going to move 14.2 to python3 and change his
> python-pillow.
>
> -D.
>
> On 15 December 2015 at 13:12, Philip Lacroix <slackph at posteo.de>
> wrote:
>> Am 14.12.2015 23:19 schrieb B Watson:
>>>
>>> What happens if someone needs both python 2 and 3 support?
>>>
>>> Does the python3 stuff actually conflict with the python2
>>> stuff? If not, maybe it'd be good to allow building both
>>> instead of choosing only one or the other.
>>

>> Removed redundant assignments in the case construct:

>> if [ "${PYTHON3SUPPORT:-no}" == "yes" ]; then case "$BUILD_FIRST"
>> in 2) B2="3" ;; 3) B1="3"; B2="2" ;; *) B1="3" ;; esac fi
>>
>> python$B1 setup.py install --root=$PKG if [[ -n $B2 ]]; then
>> python$B2 setup.py install --root=$PKG fi #####

- --
Brenton Earl