[Slackbuilds-users] FFmpeg update

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Sat May 23 17:33:01 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I got more and more requests from people about an update for the ffmpeg version
we have in the repo as it is already quite a bit dated. Usually I wait until a
new Slackware release with the update, since verifying everything still builds
with it is easier this way. Even more so since the amount of packages
depending/using ffmpeg grew so large that testing it all by myself is no longer
feasible.

However, while the next Slackware release is definitely closer than it was a
couple months ago, I guess it's still a ways off. So I figured we might as well
try to test the update in a "crowdsourced" fashion and see how that goes :)

I pushed a branch with my changes to github. You can find it here:

https://github.com/pprkut/SlackBuilds/tree/ffmpeg

This contains an updated ffmpeg (2.6.3), x264 (20150223) and ffmpegthumbnailer
(2.0.10) as well as build fixes for transcode.

What remains is testing all the remaining scripts to make sure nothing breaks.

I grepped the repo and had a look at everything that might depend on ffmpeg or
x264. Below you can find a (hopefully) comprehensive list. Items I'm not sure
about I marked with "(?)". I already tested

libraries/libquicktime
multimedia/mediatomb
multimedia/transcode

I kindly ask for help testing the remaining scripts to make sure nothing
breaks :)

I already know John Vogel tested some of these, so it might be good to wait
for his feedback before rushing off compiling things in order to reduce
duplicate work. Although double-checking certainly won't hurt here :)

Thanks in advance for the help! Here we go with the list:

ffmpeg
===================
audio/audacity
audio/cmus