[Slackbuilds-users] FFmpeg update

John Vogel jvogel4 at stny.rr.com
Sat May 23 17:47:02 UTC 2015

On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:33:01 +0200
Heinz Wiesinger <pprkut at liwjatan.at> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I got more and more requests from people about an update for the ffmpeg version
> we have in the repo as it is already quite a bit dated. Usually I wait until a
> new Slackware release with the update, since verifying everything still builds
> with it is easier this way. Even more so since the amount of packages
> depending/using ffmpeg grew so large that testing it all by myself is no longer
> feasible.
>
> However, while the next Slackware release is definitely closer than it was a
> couple months ago, I guess it's still a ways off. So I figured we might as well
> try to test the update in a "crowdsourced" fashion and see how that goes :)
>
> I pushed a branch with my changes to github. You can find it here:
>
> https://github.com/pprkut/SlackBuilds/tree/ffmpeg
>
> This contains an updated ffmpeg (2.6.3), x264 (20150223) and ffmpegthumbnailer
> (2.0.10) as well as build fixes for transcode.
>
> What remains is testing all the remaining scripts to make sure nothing breaks.
>
> I grepped the repo and had a look at everything that might depend on ffmpeg or
> x264. Below you can find a (hopefully) comprehensive list. Items I'm not sure
> about I marked with "(?)". I already tested
>
> libraries/libquicktime
> multimedia/mediatomb
> multimedia/transcode
>
> I kindly ask for help testing the remaining scripts to make sure nothing
> breaks :)
>
> I already know John Vogel tested some of these, so it might be good to wait
> for his feedback before rushing off compiling things in order to reduce
> duplicate work. Although double-checking certainly won't hurt here :)
>
> Thanks in advance for the help! Here we go with the list:
>
> ffmpeg
> ===================
> audio/audacity
> audio/cmus
> audio/deadbeef
> audio/kid3
> audio/kradio
> audio/lastfm
> audio/mpd
> audio/qmmp
> audio/soundconverter
> audio/xmms2 (?)
> audio/xwax
> desktop/recorditnow
> desktop/ssr
> desktop/thunar-thumbnailers
> games/alephone
> games/dolphin-emu
> games/openmw
> games/vcmi
> gis/grass
> graphics/digikam
> libraries/OpenSceneGraph (?)
> libraries/alsa-plugins
> libraries/audioread
> libraries/chromaprint
> libraries/ffms2
> libraries/libunicap
> libraries/libvdpau-va-gl
> libraries/opal
> libraries/opencv
> libraries/wxsvg
> multimedia/bombono-dvd
> [...]

Thanks for the heads up, Heinz.

For work I have done so far and also have in progress, my repo is at:

https://github.com/jvvv/SBo-ffmpeg-related-build-fixes.

I've already contacted B. Watson about alephone patches. If I have time
this evening, I'll try to put together a build script for winff.
I haven't added it yet, but I'll also be adding an updated mpv SlackBuild
after dinner.

Cheers,
John