[Slackbuilds-users] suggestion for READMEs

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 22 10:31:52 UTC 2015

> ...also, I wish there were some other guidelines about URLs. I've been
> working on a download-bot

You are welcome to steal from download_src in
https://github.com/idlemoor/slackrepo/blob/master/libexec/functions.d/srcfunctions.sh

> - Dropbox URLs actually *can* be downloaded directly, if ?dl=1 is added to
> the end. I tried 8 or 10 of these, and in all cases, wget was able to get
> the file...

The crucial thing is that Dropbox will do the right thing if and only
if the user-agent string is 'wget' ... unfortunately some other sites
will work only if the user-agent string is *not* wget. We can't win!

> - Sourceforge URLs should never mention a specific mirror site,
> only "downloads.sourceforge.net" or "projectname.sourceforge.net"
> (I'm not actually sure which is better, myself). Links that include
> <sitename>.dl.sourceforge.net can and will break, when they stop being
> part of sourceforge's pool of mirrors.

This is an excellent summary... wasn't this an official SBo Policy long ago?

For me, the biggest problem of all is the ever increasing number of
SlackBuilds that only work with filenames that were downloaded without
content-disposition. IMO the canonical SBo use case is that someone
goes to the page on the SBo website, and just clicks on the source
download link, and gets a source file that doesn't work with the
SlackBuild :-(

Best regards
-D.