[Slackbuilds-users] Fwd: monit change request

Thomas Morper thomas at beingboiled.info
Sun Aug 7 22:52:36 UTC 2016

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> I can't help but think that this is a little bit poor design from the part of
> the Monit development team. What is the point in having a fully configurable
> config file name and location, if half of your software is hard-coded to use a
> particular config file name and location?

There's nothing wrong or even unusual with monit's design in that respect.
If you want to use the command line switch to specify a config file
location other than the default you have to specify it each time.
Otherwise "monit $command" simply can't know how to talk to the daemon
started with "monit -c /i/want/this.conf".

The -c option is propably more useful for testing and development, i.e.
without affecting your running instance you can test a monit config file
for syntax errors and then deploy it somewhere else.

> The other problem I have with monit at the moment is that if you do
> /etc/rc.d/rc.monit restart, most of the time this will kill the daemon
> completely. What appears to be happening is that monit is taking a long time
> to shut down - which means the start command is attempted while it is still
> shutting down - so it never starts again.

I can confirm this. It seems to be connected to the event notification,
i.e. shutdown takes as long as is takes to send an e-mail + overhead, but
I'm not entirely sure. A "sleep 4" between stop and start solved this for
me so I didn't investigate any further.