[Slackbuilds-users] [Bug-gnuzilla] icecat 38.8.0 crashes

awakeyet at tutanota.de awakeyet at tutanota.de
Fri Aug 26 23:32:55 UTC 2016

I get what you mean, but alot of people out there aren't necessarily idiots, but rather they don't have a specialty in technology.  many people, even many who use free software rather have a simple firefox/icecat browser that just comes with the evil things removed and some good things added to protect them so that they have to do the minimal amount of set up to just get it working.

if it doesn't "just werk" many people just throw it right in the trash and go to an easier option. what's so great about icecat is that it IS that easier option and it's also better for security than a normal firefox browser. take away the benefit to using it and it's just some boring browser that does nothing special at all.

I'm absolutely not in any way at all suggesting we take away the choice or freedom from the user, but if all the good things about icecat are removed and most smart people (who aren't good in tech) have to spend 10 million frustrating headache hours pounding their head into their computer screen searching for answers on dead forums with spiderwebs in the corners and those weird mods who delete topics with answers to obsucure questions and failing to find any answers and  desperately trying to add those good things back into firefox, they will simply just stop using icecat out of frustration.

smart people who can't figure out tech will just scream and cry at their computer screens in frustration as the very last FOSS minimalistic browser with some security features in existance becomes the "generic do-nothing browser" that already exists all over the internet in many different redundant and boring forms. there are loads of browsers out there already that do "nothing but browse" so why should we de-specialize icecat? why make it so normal that it's not worth using it?

I love the fact that icecat is very minimalistic, but I'm very happy that it comes what it comes with and many others are too.  we shouldn't bloat icecat to death because look at what happened to mainstream firefox, but we shouldn't gut it to death until its a hollow shell that does nothing.

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

20. Aug 2016 16:11 by hjensen at gmx.de: