[Slackbuilds-users] LibreOffice, LOLANGS and dictionaries

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 8 02:56:38 UTC 2016

On 08/11/16 11:35, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask what LOLANGS is about in LibreOffice.SlackBuild?
> Is it only about user interface language?
> Or does it influence for example date/time format, currency, etc?
>
> Per
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_build/localized
> it's not clear to me what localized means.

If you were to run LibreOffice itself, you would find (in
Options->Language Settings) that you are able to independently set these
items. The language settings available are, as you might expect, those
specified in the LOLANGS variable at build time. Other settings in the
same widget such as Locale, currency have a far greater range of options
from which to choose. I assume that greater range derives from whatever
is available on your system.

> About dictionaries:
> I like the way Alien has all the available dictionaries in separate
> packages:
> http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/libreoffice/pkg64/14.2/
>
> Is the
> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/office/libreoffice-langpack/ the
> way to do it in the same manner?
>
> I see that Willy is using different dictionaries tarball:
> LibreOffice_5.2.3_Linux_x86_rpm_langpack_en-GB.tar.gz (Willy)
> vs
> libreoffice-dictionaries-5.2.1.2.tar.xz (Alien)
>
> BTW, If you don't have the answer right now, I'll investigate it on my
> own. But maybe somebody already knows the answer.

In general, the builder knows what language(s) they speak and build
accordingly by setting LOLANGS if the default value doesn't already
contain their language.

> Also, LibreOffice README says that I can use hunspell dictionaries.
> Do you have any experience with that?
> Are they better in any way?
Better than what?

> Or are they the same thing as the dictionaries built by Alien?

I'm not familiar with how those dictionaries are built/used.

> LibreOffice README correction:
> - "distionary" should be changed to "dictionary",
> - "hunspell.pl" should be changed to "hunspell-pl",
Thanks for spotting those - TODO in next update.

> - I would suggest that README contained "ALL" that can be passed to
> LOLANGS (LO wiki mentions it).

Yes, good idea - also TODO in next update.

> SlackBuild correction:
> Not having pl in LOLANGS="de es fr id it ja nl vi zh-CN"
> is programming error :-^

Well, the SackBuild actually says:
     LOLANGS=${LOLANGS:-"de es fr id it ja nl vi zh-CN"}
precisely so that a builder can trivially include whatever language(s)
they want.

chris