[Slackbuilds-users] fmodapi access upstream

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:44:06 UTC 2016

On 9/6/16, Doogster <thedoogster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Well, you don' get the segfaults if you build against the older fmod and
> then don't use it (set the sound backend to OpenAL). Other than that: yes,
> exactly.

But if you set the backend to OpenAL, brutal doom stops working correctly?

Does this only happen with 2.1.1? I went to some effort to make sure
my slackbuild can still build the 1.8.x and 1.9.x branches of gzdoom,
since upstream is developing all 3 branches in parallel (well, maybe
1.8.x is done now). See:

https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/games/gzdoom/README_versions.txt

Particularly this bit:

1.8.09 - last version to use SDL1 (good for older/slower systems).
1.9.1 - last version to not require OpenGL 3.0 (good for nouveau).
2.2.1 - latest version of gzdoom (best choice for fast modern systems).

2.2.1 will run on my box, but it's got noticeably worse performance than
either 1.8.09 or 1.9.1, so I don't actually use it (tested it by playing
through the first 2 levels of Doom II, which worked).