[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20170204.1

Full Name nuncestbibendum at excite.com
Sat Feb 4 20:51:30 UTC 2017

> From: "King Beowulf" [kingbeowulf at gmail.com]
> Date: 02/04/2017 03:00 PM
> To: slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> Subject: Re: [Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20170204.1
>
> My preference, as a maintainer, is that SBo does not succumb to "version
> creep" and sticks with STABLE packages that are as bug free as possible
> given the nature of F/OSS.

Another factor to bear in mind is the relative obsolescence of packages. I.e. a given Slackbuilds package's version might be such that another package that depends on it won't build. One could sensibly argue that, as long as that this latter package is not one in Slackbuilds, the problem is not Slackbuilds'. However, this would limit Slackbuilds' (and Slackware's) usefulness. There may be a middle, pragmatic way, between wanting to have the latest and greatest and strict conservatism. Such an approach would probably be more onerous on maintainers though.