[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20161231.1

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:13:02 UTC 2017

On 02/01/17 18:37, Audrius Kažukauskas wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-01-02 at 01:16:32 +0100, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
>> Maybe slackrepo does not allow to download something needed by the Python
>> install script.
>
> I don't know slackrepo well enough, but this seems likely.
>
>> But it shouldn't be downloaded in the first place.
>>
>> I don't know enough about Python installation scripts to say the final word.
>
> borgbackup's setup.py contains the following line:
>
>   setup_requires=['setuptools_scm>=1.7'],
>
> Thus setuptools_scm should really be a requirement for borgbackup.
>
> setuptools documentation has this description of setup_requires field:
>
>   A string or list of strings specifying what other distributions need
>   to be present in order for the setup script to run.  setuptools will
>   attempt to obtain these (even going so far as to download them using
>   EasyInstall) before processing the rest of the setup script or
>   commands. <...>
>
> This explains why the build succeeded for Willy and, if slackrepo does
> indeed disable network access, why it didn't for you.

Thanks for clarification.
That is what I was thinking is more or less happening.

Do you know if it's possible to disable automatic downloading by the
setup script (on the command line)?

If it is, I think we should apply this rule to SlackBuilds and then we
had the true dependencies ;-)

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski