[Slackbuilds-users] Tracking version releases

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Fri May 12 05:23:42 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017, 1:16 AM Christoph Willing <chris.willing at iinet.net.au>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't have a huge number of SlackBuilds to maintain but enough that
> its easy to lose track of upstream development and know when new
> versions have been released. Occasionally I do a find of .info files
> containing my name in the SBo file tree and go to each of the relevant
> websites looking for new releases. Sometimes a user sends me email about
> an update. Some repos can send email notifications, some have RSS feeds
> etc., but there doesn't seem to be a consistent mechanism for this sort
> of thing. There has to be a better way, so does anyone already have a
> better way to keep track before I write something to do it?
>
> Well, before waiting for a reply to that question, I already started
> writing a tool of my own to do that. It's not quite complete but close
> enough - my 6 SlackBuild updates this week were all due to prompting
> while developing/testing/documenting the thing.
>
> The new tool can currently deal with projects at github, sourceforge,
> pypi & libreoffice. It's been written to enable new  repo modules to be
> added fairly easily. My real question is whether anyone knows of other
> repositories that should be included (and preferably have some sort of
> API available for access), so that modules for them can be added?

I don't have any immediate thoughts on what else to support, but maybe you
could set up something like plowshare​ does in regards to "modules". You
have the main program that has all the binaries, then you have modules for
all the various sites that you support. Plowshare has them all as separate
files that are stored in a directory (either globally or per user). This
could allow others to more easily add new sites.

https://github.com/mcrapet/plowshare
https://github.com/mcrapet/plowshare-modules-legacy

> I guess you should still let me know if this has already been done
> before I spend too much more time on it.
>
> BTW its at:
>     https://github.com/cwilling/pvc

I'll try to find time this weekend to check it out.

Jeremy