[Slackbuilds-users] Dosbox philosophical question...

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 00:23:17 UTC 2017

On 10/06/2017 07:20 AM, Doogster wrote:
> Keep the DosBox SlackBuild at 0.74. Have separate SlackBuilds for the
> SVN checkouts and forks.

Agreed.

> I recommend at least thinking about this fork:
>
> http://blog.yesterplay80.net/dosbox-ece-en/

I'm definitely interested in this one for the glide support but just
haven't had time to set it up.  I haven't been able to get other glide
patches/builds to work properly under Linux.

> I also wrote one of the best forks in existence, so I'm rather
> uniquely qualified to comment on this.
>
> https://github.com/duganchen/dosbox/blob/master/ENHANCEMENTS.md

OpenGL 3 and shader support is nice. However, being bit of a purist
snob, I don't mind running most old games in their original state. A
very long time ago I used http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/ as the Glide
OpenGl wrapper in special Win98/2k/XP configurations for Wing Commander
III/IV/Propecy.  It was spiffy. Why 3dfx support?  back when Glide was a
hot API, I simply could not afford a voodoo card.  When I could finally
afford one, 3dFx was dead and many glide games were in the bargain bin
or gone.

-Ed