[Slackbuilds-users] Serious regression on Github archive URLs

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Sat Aug 18 13:52:14 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 18 August 2018 02:36:49 PDT David Spencer wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Github has just broken the download of about 1000 of our SlackBuilds.
>
> If you get problems downloading with wget, or curl, or sbopkg, there are
> 2 things you can do:
>
> (1) Download manually with a browser -- this still seems to work; or

If you are logged into GitHub that is ...

> (2) Visit sbosrcarch at http://slackware.uk/sbosrcarch/by-name/

(3) Hack it
Here's a terrible work-around: GitHub is still redirecting our SBo URLs
correctly, but only if you are authenticated.

By inspecting your browser's http traffic with GitHub, you could grab your
cookie and add it as a line to .wgetrc, giving something like:
header=Cookie: logged_in=yes; user_session=xxx; __Host-
user_session_same_site=xxx; dotcom_user=bosth; _gh_sess=xxx

I don't actually suggest doing this since using wget with any other website
will be sharing your session via HTTP headers. You could probably put your
GitHub username and password in .wgetrc but that's an even worse idea?