[Slackbuilds-users] Serious regression on Github archive URLs

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Sat Aug 18 16:17:05 UTC 2018

Here is what I believe to be a reasonably safe way of getting wget to work
again as long as you have a GitHub account:

1. In GitHub's settings, find "Developer Settings"
2. Click "Personal access tokens"
3. Click "Generate new token"
4. Select "public_repo" (nothing else!)
5. Click "Generate token"
6. Add the following line to .wgetrc (replacing TOKEN with the token you just
generated
header=Authorization: token TOKEN

As far as I can tell, the drawback is that you are exposing your GitHub token
to every server wget interacts with, but (1) there is no indication that it's
a GitHub token and (2) the only permission the token has is to interact with
public repositories.

"public_repo: Grants read/write access to code, commit statuses,
collaborators, and deployment statuses for public repositories and
organizations. Also required for starring public repositories."

If this works for your user account and you are comfortable with the paragraph
above, you can then add the line to /etc/wgetrc and normal service will be
resumed.