[Slackbuilds-users] sage up for grabs UNMAINTAINED

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:08:46 UTC 2018

Why not use the Debian binary tarball that is available in the Sage
website? I have just tried (for Sage 8.3) and it seems to work fine. Here
is what I did:

1. As root, unpacked the tarball in /opt. This create /opt/SageMath.
2. cd /opt/SageMath.
3. ./sage. This patches up Sage's files (black magic?) and launches Sage.
You end up at the Sage CLI. It can be checked out that it works, at least
for simple operations - like, e.g. an integration.
4. Exit Sage.
5. cd /usr/local/bin.
6. ln -s /opt/SageMath/sage ./sage.
7. Exit root.
8. Assuming that /usr/local/bin is in your path, launch Sage by invoking
the sage command.
9. Verify that it works.

Assuming that the above keeps working when using more esoteric Sage
capabilities, getting a Slackbuilds script to do all that should be
straightforward. I haven't tried building for sources, but I find it
difficult to believe that the Debian binary tarball is created using some
knowledge available to members of the inner circle alone.

If I am missing something here please let me know.