[Slackbuilds-users] sage up for grabs UNMAINTAINED

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 21 23:49:47 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 09:08:46AM -0600, JCA wrote:
> Why not use the Debian binary tarball that is available in the Sage
> website? I have just tried (for Sage 8.3) and it seems to work fine. Here
> is what I did:
>
> 1. As root, unpacked the tarball in /opt. This create /opt/SageMath.
> 2. cd /opt/SageMath.
> 3. ./sage. This patches up Sage's files (black magic?) and launches Sage.
> You end up at the Sage CLI. It can be checked out that it works, at least
> for simple operations - like, e.g. an integration.
> 4. Exit Sage.
> 5. cd /usr/local/bin.
> 6. ln -s /opt/SageMath/sage ./sage.
> 7. Exit root.
> 8. Assuming that /usr/local/bin is in your path, launch Sage by invoking
> the sage command.
> 9. Verify that it works.
>
> Assuming that the above keeps working when using more esoteric Sage
> capabilities, getting a Slackbuilds script to do all that should be
> straightforward. I haven't tried building for sources, but I find it
> difficult to believe that the Debian binary tarball is created using some
> knowledge available to members of the inner circle alone.
>
> If I am missing something here please let me know.

Hi JCA,

Sounds like it should be easy enough to automate into a build script using
mkchroot. I can give it a go (but I'm not a sage user). Could you please
clarify a couple if items:

1. Does ./sage really work after cd-ing to a freshly created directory?

2. I assume checking with an integration is not essential to the build process -
is that correct?

Cheers ... Duncan.