[Slackbuilds-users] Which jack?

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Sat Dec 22 14:49:18 UTC 2018

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 02:15:01 PM Didier Spaier wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> On 22/12/2018 14:02, Didier Spaier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some SlackBuilds mention as a mandatory or optional requirement
> > jack-audio-connection-kit (aka jack1), others jack2.
> >
> > As both are mutually incompatible, what can I do if I want to build a
> > package which mentions jack-audio-connection-kit as dependency, and
> > also another one which mentions jack2 instead?
>
> Addendum:
>
> I see in  the FAQ:
> https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/Q_difference_jack1_ja
> ck2 Programs compiled against Jack 1 will work with Jack 2 without recompile
> (and vice versa).
>
> Do you folks confirm?
>
> If yes, let me rephrase my question: if jack1 or jacjk2 is mentioned as
> build dependenecy, can actually use the other?
>
> I ask, because as a package provider I'd rather ship jack2.
> Then I could install jack1 locally to just build the packages that need
> specifically this one, but I'd prefer to avoid that if I can.
>
> Best,
>
> Didier

I use ONLY Jack2 and while I do compile most of my software, I just downloaded
jack-rack from slackonly.com and it works as expected.

I don't believe it matters.

I brought this issue up to the mailing list before
(https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2015-May/014252.html).

I think it would be clearer for README files and REQUIRE lines to list a
generic JACK dependency, rather than specifying jack-audio-connection-kit (and
jack2 is never, in practice, mentioned). In packages that I maintain, I list
both in the README file (https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/audio/luppp/).

For the record, I still think it would be useful for SBo at large to define a
generic JACK dependency which means either JACK or JACK2.