[Slackbuilds-users] w3m

Arkadiusz Drabczyk arkadiusz at drabczyk.org
Tue Jan 2 19:53:08 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 07:40:50PM +0000, David Woodfall wrote:
> I've tried to email Grigorios about this but got 'Recipient address
> rejected. Not known' error back.
>
> I'm hoping that he's watching the list.
>
> I've noticed that w3m make install doesn't install w3mimgdisplay. This
> is needed by ranger to display images in the terminal. I managed to fix
> it by:
>
> make install DESTDIR=$PKG
> cp w3mimgdisplay $PKG/usr/bin
>
> Also, if you change the termlib line to:
>
> --with-termlib="terminfo ncurses" \
>
> It will allow w3mimgdisplay to work in gnu-screen (if tic is used to
> install the screen terminfo file).
>
> Could you please add those options? Then I will update my ranger
> slackbuild with some information on how to get images working in the
> terminal.

Are you sure w3mimgdisplay is not installed?  I think it is:

$ locate w3mimgdisplay
/usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay
$ grep w3mimgdisplay /var/log/packages/*
/var/log/packages/w3m-0.5.3-x86_64-3_SBo:usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay

I have not problems with displaying pdf documents as images in ranger.
I found this in
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/ext/img_display.py:

W3MIMGDISPLAY_PATHS = [
    '/usr/lib/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
    '/usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
    '/usr/lib64/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
    '/usr/libexec64/w3m/w3mimgdisplay',
]

That would indicate that ranger does not really expect w3mimgdisplay
to be in $PATH.
--
Arkadiusz Drabczyk <arkadiusz at drabczyk.org>