[Slackbuilds-users] What is the best way to add a tag to the version of a program?

Fellype do Nascimento fellype at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 17:44:50 UTC 2018

Hi all!

At the moment I am the maintainer of sayonara-player.SlackBuild [1]. The
version numbering structure of Sayonara Player (SP) is:

x.y.z-gitX-YYYYMMDD where x=major release, y=minor release, z=bugfix
release and gitX-YYYYMMDD = "small adjustments" release.

Sometimes the SP developers make only some small adjustments and release it.
Currently the VERSION variable in sayonara-player.SlackBuild is set only
as x.y.z (following the way that the previous maintainer - Edinaldo P.
Silva - wrote it), and another variable, SRCVER, with gitX-YYYYMMDD is
used in the 'tar' step. Then, when sayonara-player.SlackBuild is updated
due to a small adjustments release, SBo users that use sbotools and run
sbocheck do not notice that it was updated, even if the BUILD variable
is changed.
For this reason, I would like to change the version number structure of
SP in sayonara-player.SlackBuild from

VERSION=${VERSION:-x.y.z}

VERSION=${VERSION:-x.y.z-gitX-YYYYMMDD} (FYI, the latest version of SP
is 1.0.0-git1-20171231)

and to discard the SRCVER variable.

I know, from a test, that it works. But I would like to know if there is
a more "correct" way to do this change?

Best regards,

Fellype

[1]
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/audio/sayonara-player/sayonara-player.SlackBuild

--

Dr. Fellype do Nascimento - fellype (at) gmail.com
Center for Semiconductor Components and Nanotechnologies / Laboratório de Plasmas