[Slackbuilds-users] What is the best way to add a tag to the version of a program?

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 17:56:13 UTC 2018

On 10/01/18 18:44, Fellype do Nascimento wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> At the moment I am the maintainer of sayonara-player.SlackBuild [1]. The
> version numbering structure of Sayonara Player (SP) is:
>
> x.y.z-gitX-YYYYMMDD where x=major release, y=minor release, z=bugfix
> release and gitX-YYYYMMDD = "small adjustments" release.
>
> Sometimes the SP developers make only some small adjustments and release
> it.
> Currently the VERSION variable in sayonara-player.SlackBuild is set only
> as x.y.z (following the way that the previous maintainer - Edinaldo P.
> Silva - wrote it), and another variable, SRCVER, with gitX-YYYYMMDD is
> used in the 'tar' step. Then, when sayonara-player.SlackBuild is updated
> due to a small adjustments release, SBo users that use sbotools and run
> sbocheck do not notice that it was updated, even if the BUILD variable
> is changed.
> For this reason, I would like to change the version number structure of
> SP in sayonara-player.SlackBuild from
>
> VERSION=${VERSION:-x.y.z}

> VERSION=${VERSION:-x.y.z-gitX-YYYYMMDD} (FYI, the latest version of SP
> is 1.0.0-git1-20171231)
>
> and to discard the SRCVER variable.
>
> I know, from a test, that it works. But I would like to know if there is
> a more "correct" way to do this change?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fellype
>
> [1]
> https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/audio/sayonara-player/sayonara-player.SlackBuild

I think your reasoning is not exactly correct, but the outcome result is
good ;-)

What I mean is that BUILD should not mimic in any way the upstream
versioning schema.

The only thing you have to change is that you cannot use "-" in version
string.
Common practice here is to replace it with "_" (underscore).
Then your SlackBuild should somehow deal with "_" is VERSION but with
"-" in source tarball name.

Something like:
SRCVER=$(echo $VERSION | tr _ -)

--