[Slackbuilds-users] qt5 is sorely in need of an update

Larry Hajali larryhaja at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 04:31:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 9:32 PM, David Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 2 June 2018 05:26,
> Dave Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net> put forth the proposition:
> > On Saturday 2 June 2018 11:16,
> > Willy Sudiarto Raharjo <willysr at slackbuilds.org> put forth the
> proposition:

> > > If i recalled correctly, it has something to do with sip package
> shipped
> > > with Slackware which doesn't meet the minimum requirement for newer
> > > PyQt5 which relies on Qt5-webkit and eventually Qt5 package.

Yes, this is the reason qt5 hasn't been updated.  PyQt5 can only be updated
5.7 because the sip package is too old for new PYQt5 packages.

> > Ah right. Qutebrowser uses python3-sip/python3-PyQt5 so I haven't hit
> > that problem.
> >
> > How about a separate sip package for python2 that can co-exist with
> > the stock version? It may be possible.

Possibly, however, I don't have the time to investigate this.  If someone
wants to
own that investigation and create a package, than I'm more than happy to
update
qt5/PyQt5 packages.

--Larry