[Slackbuilds-users] qt5 is sorely in need of an update

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Sat Jun 2 04:32:21 UTC 2018

On Saturday 2 June 2018 05:26,
Dave Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net> put forth the proposition:
> On Saturday 2 June 2018 11:16,
> Willy Sudiarto Raharjo <willysr at slackbuilds.org> put forth the proposition:
> > > I asked about this a couple of weeks ago, but eg qutebrowser is
> > > designed for features in the latest qtwebengine and I would like to
> > > supply a qt5 version that is up-to-date, or at least qt 5.10.1
> > > anyway.
> > >
> > > I've been running 5.10.1 since around the time it was released with
> > > no issues at all.
> >
> > If i recalled correctly, it has something to do with sip package shipped
> > with Slackware which doesn't meet the minimum requirement for newer
> > PyQt5 which relies on Qt5-webkit and eventually Qt5 package.
>
> Ah right. Qutebrowser uses python3-sip/python3-PyQt5 so I haven't hit
> that problem.
>
> How about a separate sip package for python2 that can co-exist with
> the stock version? It may be possible.
>
> -Dave

In fact, the problem of python3 apps being held back because of a
python2 version of sip is just plain wrong every way you look at it.

There must be a solution for this.

-Dave

--

Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both yea and nay (and
quite a few things that just have nothing at all to do with the question).

                                                            .--.  oo
                                                           (____)//