[Slackbuilds-users] qemu

John Yost alleytrotter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 12:24:57 UTC 2018

On 06/10/2018 08:08 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
> On 06/10/2018 03:36 PM, John Yost wrote:
>> Greetings Ed
>>
>> just updated my Qemu from SBO.
>> In the past Qemu-2.9 version while running Slackware64-current as the VM
>> guest I could adjust my screen size to 1280x960 using system settings
>> display&monitor window in kde.
>> Since the update when I try to change to that size KDE crashes along
>> with Qemu. They just hang and I have to close the qemu VM window from
>> the host
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> PS The host is a SandyBridge running 14.2 with all Pat's patches and the
>> 4.17.0 kernel
>>

> Howdy John
>
> That's weird.  Works ok here with XFCE and KDE.  I'm running plain old
> Slackware current with stock kernel, no integrated GPU, nvidia
> proprietary blob. My VMs mostly stay on the CLI to test compiles for SBo.
>
> 4.4.132 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz
> (Broadwell E)
>
> Maybe try another qemu video driver?  I stick with "-vga std" and rarely
> use a WM/DE.  Also, 4.17 includes virtioGPU support for accelerated VM
> graphics.  That might be an issue with a 14.2 "hybrid" system.
>
> Compare your command line args with mine in the VM script I use.  Maybe
> something will pop out:
>
> http://www.linuxgalaxy.org/files/utils/
>
> In the meantime, I about ready to start testing stuff on current so I'll
> set up a VM...with my "copious" free time, of course.
>
> -Ed

Very Kind of you Ed to reply
My apologies for the second reply.
However to clarify my issue:
Going back to an older version of my VM startup script and starting a VM
of Slackware64-14.2 (ie not current) all has returned to normal.
So it seems I made a mistake when converting to current as the VM.
I will have to try and dig deeper to find the issue.
Thanks
John