[Slackbuilds-users] Plex version too old

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:44:31 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Matteo Bernardini <
matteo.bernardini at gmail.com> wrote:

> >:
> >> Let me suggest something. The Slackbuilds home page contains some text
> >> with appropriate disclaimers. I would propose to add the following to
> >> this page, in a big font, so nobody will miss it:
> >>
> >> "The Slackbuilds team makes no guarantees about the quality of the
> >> packages. We hope that you will be able to download and build the
> >> relevant software, but we cannot guarantee it. We also hope that the
> >> software will run properly, but we can also not guarantee it. First,
> >> there may be problems with the upstream feed, over which we have we no
> >> control whatsoever. Second, since their contribution is totally
> >> voluntary and unpaid, we can also not guarantee that package maintainers
> >> are, in fact, maintaining their packages. In this sense, we can't be
> >> held responsible for the potential lack of maintenance of packages, and
> >> any subsequent inconveniences that this may cause."
> >>
> >> I believe that this accurately describes what one can expect from
> >> Slackbuilds. There is no point in concealing it, if  nothing can
> >> reasonably be done to change the status quo. Slackbuilds will remain
> >> tremendously useful, but this will make it clear to newcomers what its
> >> limitations are.  Reality is the way it is, and not the way we would
> >> like it to be. Is this not a fair deal?
> >
> > I think the LICENSE covered that part
> > See here: https://slackbuilds.org/templates/autotools-template.
> SlackBuild
> > #  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR "AS IS" ....
>
> ...and this exposes the real issue: pretty much nobody reads the
> READMEs or the scripts they run in the first place.

Precisely. Which is why I was suggesting the Slackbuilds home page, in a
big font. In obnoxiously flashing text, if you want. That does not
guarantee that people will read it, but it is far more difficult to miss.
This aside, that's boilerplate, legalese stuff. What matters is what can be
reasonably expected.