[Slackbuilds-users] Suggestions for SlackBuild Usage Howto

Michael Siegel msi at malbolge.net
Sun Jul 21 16:19:06 UTC 2019

Hello,

I have some suggestions for improving the SlackBuild Usage HOWTO at
http://slackbuilds.org/howto/.

The first section (“Caveat”) currently reads like this:

  All of our scripts are written and tested for usage on the latest
  stable release of Slackware with full installation and updated with
  latest patches; if you're trying them on older versions of Slackware,
  you should read this page referenced in our FAQ.

My suggestion is to change that to:

  All of our scripts are written and tested for usage on a full
  installation of the latest stable release of Slackware updated with
  the latest patches. If you're trying them on older versions of
  Slackware, you should read this page referenced in our FAQ.

Then, the Howto does not mention verification of the downloaded source
packages. I think this should either be added to step one or be
step two. It could be worded like this:

  To verify the downloaded source's integrity, first run `md5sum
  chemtool-1.6.14.tar.gz' to get the MD5 sum of the downloaded source
  archive. Then compare it to the MD5 sum shown in the `chemtool.info'
  file. If they don't match, something is wrong.

I just realized that Step 1 already doesn't mention verifying the
SlackBuild's GPG signature. I think that should be included in the Howto
as well.

So, maybe, it would be best to split Step 1 up like this:

  * Step 1 – Download and verify the SlackBuild archive
  * Step 2 – Download and verify the application's source archive

What do you think?

Best
Michael