[Slackbuilds-users] Upcoming version of EFL build fails on 14.2

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 19 09:38:07 UTC 2019

On 19/03/2019 04:32, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>> I've been meaning to push out an update to libraries/efl
>> (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries, a.k.a. EFL) for some time, but
>> I've been hung up on an odd build issue on 14.2.
>>
>> If the previous version of this package is already installed on 14.2
>> (efl-1.20.7), the build fails because a tool built as part
>> of the process called `lt-edje_cc` loads a .so installed by efl-1.20.7
>> into /usr/lib64 and crashes because
>>
>>      undefined symbol: EINA_ERROR_FUTURE_CANCEL
>>
>> The thing that puzzles me is that `ldd` reports that `lt-edje_cc`
>> correctly locates many other EFL shared objects under /tmp/SBo instead
>> of the system library path /usr/lib64.
>>
>> The build succeeds on 14.2 if you first manually uninstall EFL.
>>
>> Curiously, this error does not occur in -current.  I originally
>> thought that the issue may have been due to a difference as regards
>> libtool, but both -14.2 and -current use the same version of libtool
>> "(GNU libtool) 2.4.6"
>>
>> After many weeks of not making any headway, I'm ready to release this
>> now with the caveat "you must uninstall your existing EFL package
>> before updating", and hold faith that 15.0 will make the bugs go away.
>>
>> My question to the group is, is this an acceptable course of action?
>>
>> If somebody more knowledgable than I would like to take a stab at it,
>> you can find the new SlackBuilds here:
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/erikfalor/enlightenment-slackbuilds/src
> Yes, we do have some scripts with same warning in the README

gambas3 is one such example. In creating the package it uses itself to
create some modules, but if it is already installed, it uses those
binaries to create them instead, leaving you with a package linked to
stuff from a previous install that will no longer be available. You have
to do a removepkg before creating a new one.
On that subject, is it worth adding a test for previous version in the
slackbuild, and should the build just stop if one exists, or should it
be allowed to remove the previous existing installed version?
Regards, Tim