[Slackbuilds-users] SOHO backup choices

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 10 14:41:21 UTC 2019

I've used dirvish to backup my desktop server/workstation for about a
decade. While it has worked flawlessly (and I've not needed a bare metal
restore), I do daily incremental backups run from cron at 00:30 each day.

I think it's time to replace it for use with my new desktop
server/workstation and 2T external hard drive. I'll be adding a reserve
desktop which will be kept current but not used for day-to-day business. And
I might leave portables on overnight so they, too, can be backed up on
occasion.

The SBo list of packages displayed when I entered 'backup' in the search box
is impressive, even overwhelming. I'd like advice in selecting a new backup
tool.

The two packages that look appropriate for my SOHO needs (and I didn't look
at all of them) are flexbackup and Attic. Both do daily incremental backups
for single hosts or small LANs. Should I install and learn both to support a
choice or might there be others for me to consider?

TIA,

Rich